Rice is an established food group in our home. It is one my husbands favorite foods and I think we eat it at least four times a week. Rice can be added to about anything, it can be a wonderful side dish and even a dessert. Our home supports our local rice farmers. So in honor, here are a few rice recipes that are my family’s favorites!
But first, here are some fun facts about RICE!
Top Ten Facts About Rice:
- Rice helps feed two-thirds of the world’s population.
- Rice has been feeding mankind for more than 5,000 years.
- The first documented account of rice was by a Chinese emperor about 2,800 BC.
- Colonists were the first to cultivate rice in America. It began by accident when a ship’s captain made a gift of “Golde Seede Rice” to a local planter in South Carolina.
- Arkansas is the leading rice producing state, followed by California, Louisiana, Texas, Mississippi, Missouri and Florida.
- Rice is used in beer, dog food, baby food, breakfast cereals, snacks, frozen foods and sauces, and much more!
- There is also research on growing rice that is packed with vitamins. This could help feed many people who live in countries with little food.
- Rice can germinate and thrive in flooded fields.
- Rice is sometimes planted by broadcasting seeds from an airplane.
- Most of the rice grown in Arkansas is classified as long grain rice.
POPPY SEED CHICKEN
4 chicken breast, boiled and chopped 1/2 c. white wine or sherry
2 cans cream of chicken soup 1 stick of melted butter
1(8-oz) pkg. of cream cheese 50 Ritz Crackers
2 c. of white rice 1/4 tsp of poppy-seed
First start cooking your rice. Follow instructions on the back of bag. You can use more than 2 cups if desired. The rice is not in the dish, but is for pouring your Poppy seed chicken over at the end. Next place the cut-up chicken in a greased casserole dish. Then heat your soup and cream cheese until melted. Add your white wine or sherry to your soup and cream cheese. Pour this mixture over chicken. Crumble crackers and mix in poppy-seed. Spread crackers and poppy-seed over chicken. Then pour melted butter over crackers. Set oven on 350 degrees. Bake for 30 minutes. After the casserole is ready pour over white rice!
SUMMER CITRUS RICE SALAD
1 lg. pkg lemon jello
2 c. cooked white rice
2 Sm. ctn. of whipping cream
1/2 c. sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
Mix Jello according to the package directions. Spray a 9 x 13-inch pan with cooking spray. Pour Jello into pan and chill. Cook rice and allow to cool completely. Beat whipping cream, sugar and vanilla until it stands in peaks. Cut chilled Jello into 1/2-inch squares. Fold whipping cream into rice and Jello. Do not over stir. Serve on a leaf of lettuce and garnish with a slice of lime.
I hope all of you try these recipes.
HAVE A RICE DAY!!!!